- This event has passed.
Immigration Detention Symposium
March 15 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
On Friday March 15th 2019 the Asper Centre convened a one-day Immigration Detention Symposium focused on advancing litigation and advocacy strategies to address the challenges within Canada’s immigration detention system. This Symposium highlighted immigration practitioners’ and civil society’s current advocacy efforts, recommendations and resources for achieving meaningful solutions to the challenges.
The main objective of this Symposium was to bring together the relevant legal, research and advocacy partners who are focused on improving the serious deficiencies in the immigration detention system in Canada. We hope to help highlight some of the important responses and strategies currently being developed and implemented in this area, and that this opportunity for sharing and collaboration will encourage continued strategic litigation collaboration and coordinated advocacy efforts amongst the immigration bar and beyond.
Panel I: Immigration Detention External Audit, IRB and Audit Response Report: Recommendations and Next Steps
- Click on above image to VIEW a recording of this panel (captioned)
- IRB External Audit
- IRB Chairperson Guideline Detention, effective April 1 2019
- Joint audit response report – forthcoming
Panel II: Habeas Corpus Best Practices
- Anstis, Will, & Blum – Separate but Unequal
- Habeas Procedure in Ontario by Jared Will
- SCOTLAND – Notice of Application
- HOQUE – Notice of Application
- SCOTLAND – Court Order to Appear
- SCOTLAND – Index and Covers
Panel III: CARL Toolkit and a Compendium of Relevant Case-Law for Immigration Detention Practitioners
- CARL Immigration Detention TOOLKIT, March 2019
- CARL Symposium Powerpoint Presentation March 15 2019
- Asper Centre Federal Court Case Law Compendium – forthcoming
- Asper Centre students, PowerPoint Presentation March 15 2019