This half-day conference examined in detail the interplay between sections 7 and 15 of the Charter.
Papers were presented that stimulated and developed an ongoing exploration of the relationship between sections 7 and 15. Issues addressed include:
• Is equality a principle of fundamental justice under section 7?
• How have the courts treated the two separate grounds for challenging government action?
• Are their strategic advantages to pleading both grounds or only one?
• Protecting marginalized groups.
• How does the relationship between the sections play out in circumstances such as challenges to mental health legislation?
Archived webcast CLICK HERE
Lunch Time Plenary: Carter v AG Canada – UofT’s Legal Experts Comment on the Decision
Speakers: Trudo Lemmens, Hamish Stewart, Sophia Moreau, Carol Rogerson, David Schneiderman, Denise Reaume
Location: Alumni Hall, Victoria College, University of Victoria at the University of Toronto